Saturday 17th November 2012 is World Prematurity Day and the National Premmie Foundation is once again participating in the international campaign to raise awareness of preterm birth. Each year Worldwide 13 million babies are born too soon. Approximately 23,000 of these babies are born in Australia. We want everyone to honour the 15 million babies who struggled to survive this year and the over 1 million babies who sadly lost their fight for life.
The rate of preterm birth is increasing and yet the general public knows little about the prevention of preterm birth and the problems and risks involved in the development of a preterm infant. So we want you to join the campaign to raise awareness of the issues these vulnerable newborns and their families face.
The National Premmie Foundation is a founding member of the World Prematurity Network. This means they have joined together with March of Dimes (USA), The European Foundation for the Care of Newborn Infants (Europe), LittleBigSoul (Africa), Bliss (UK) and Home for Premature Infants (China) to raise awareness and change the lives of babies born too soon everywhere.
How you can get involved
The National Premmie Foundation are asking people throughout Australia to get behind World Prematurity Day.
In 2011, the Empire State Building was lit up purple and it will do so again in 2012 with other buildings from around the world. This year in Australia, the Questacon building in Canberra, is lighting up purple. You can be a part of the “Light it up Purple” campaign in Australia by purchasing a National Premmie Foundation candle and lighting it at 7pm in your own home.
• Visit and become a fan of the Foundation’s Facebook page
• Change your profile picture on Facebook (the images are available here)
• Purchase your very own National Premmie Foundation candle via their online store
• Visit their Facebook event page and click “Join” add address
• Join the official World Prematurity Day Facebook page and add your story
• Light your candle on the 17th November 2012 @ 7pm; take a photo of you and your family with the candle and post it on the NPF Facebook event page and the official World Prematurity Facebook page.
• Make a donation online so that the National Premmie Foundation can continue its important work or simply in honour of someone whose life has been touched by a preterm birth.
Spread the word
The National Premmie Foundation invites everyone to help spread the word about the 17th November 2012. You can update your Facebook profile image and even your cover photo, place a WPD banner on your website or blog (linking to www.prembaby.org.au), share the link to the online store so your family and friends can purchase a candle and join in celebrating the day.
L’il Aussie Prems Foundation encourages you to join the National Premmie Foundation and it’s member groups – Loddon Mallee Kids, Life’s Little Treasures Foundation, Preterm Infant’s Parent’s Association, L’il Aussie Prems Foundation and Yasminah’s Gift of Hope on Saturday the 17th November 2012. Let’s make some noise, unite together and be the voice for all the children born too soon in Australia.
L’il Aussie Prems Foundation is a proud member group of the National Premmie Foundation.